visa interview

13th of April 2009, Monday, this is a day I had booked for my visa interview, I am applying for a L2 US visa, as spouse's visa of SL.

However, situation becomes complicated when SL's previous visa hasn't expired yet and it will be valid until 1st of October of this year, therefore he doesn't need to apply a new visa until August, as US law only allow people apply/renew visa as early as 2 months before their visa expire.

I booked a 9:20am time slot for my visa interview appointment, and we departed from our hotel (which is near to time square) at 8:30am after we took our breakfast, but I didn't expect KL traffic was such heavy jammed, we took much time on stuck at traffic jam and finding way. KL's traffic is so complicated to me, a lot of splits direct us to different destinations and map was useless at all, we were nearly taken a wrong route as in map, fortunately SL did the right judgement to get into correct path with alternative route.

Finally, we got to American Embassy on time, I walked to the entrance and checked in my IC and got a visitor badge, then we needed to line up for security check and this didn't take too long time to complete. After went through the scanner and checked in my cellphone, I went into the visa interview building.

At the entrance of building, I went through with another scanner and checking, then the guard gave me a number and handout, the handout describes what would happen during visa interview process and what I need to do/ prepare for the interview. Conclusion, there were three steps to go, registration, fingerprint collection and interview session.

After getting my number, I entered into waiting hall, there were a lot of people were waiting there, I just realised this 9:20am timeslot was not just for me alone, waiting comsumed a lot of time, I waited for about 50~60 minutes until my number called and went throught the first step, registration step. At the registration counter, I passed my interview appointment letter, visa application form with photograph attached (EVAF), validated bank reciept (visa application fee) and passport to counter keeper.

After registration, there was anotehr round of waiting and it took me another 50~60 minutes until my number called again for fingerprint taken, I gave all my 10 fingerprints to them, they took it with a scanner, twice. After the first round, I was requested to apply some gel on my hand, I think this is to clean up some attachment from our finger to prevent people to provide fake fingerprints.

After my fingerprints were taken, I still had another round of waiting, it was another 50~60 minutes of waiting, I was almost tired with so much waiting but I couldn't do anything as I need to have the visa to meet my hubby after he relos to US for 8 months. Yes, I needed to be patient, this is what I always have (unless I lose my temper :P) When I saw the number before me had been called, I was so excited as I thought I would be the next and ended my waiting suffer, but actually they called without any order, as what was told by SL, then I only could be patient.

One thing amazed me that were two interviewers can speak with excellent fluent mandarin, I was stunned at first when I saw the pure white lady spoke mandarin with fluent though, she really can speak and respond with the correct pronounciation and grammar, this is really amazing, I nearly thought that I was in China Embassy instead of US Embassy.

Well... well... well... my number finally was called to the interview counter, the interviewer looked friendly and told me Oregon is a beautiful place (this is where SL will be relocating), I would like to tell him that its beautiful only when SL is by my side :P, of course I didn't tell him this as this might be weird.

My interview process actually smooth, by answering few questions (my wedding ring on my right hand, my service period in my company, my salary and my education), it was simpler than I thought as SL told me that I needed to have a lot of documents and I saw some previous long interview in the hall before me.

However, the problem came when the interviewer issued my visa valid until 1st of October, which is same as SL's old visa, because his assignment supposed ended at 31st of December and I planned to have my second visit during December timeframe. Therefore, I asked my interviewer if I could get my L2 visa valid until end of year, but he said L2 period always follow L1, therefore he only can have my visa valid until 1st of October.

After knowing this, I was down because that means I need to have another round of long haust waiting to get my second L2 visa for my December visit, oh no, this is really a time comsuption process, I don't really like it.

Therefore, I tried to get the legal letter to provide him that SL's assignment is really until end of this year, but he refused to see it and told me he was following law by issueing my visa. And he warned me to take my visa approval if I still argued with him. Then, I really had no choice and just went out the US Embassy building.

At the exit, I saw SL was waiting there and he kept asking me with result, I worried if he would scold me on unable to get it until end of year. But, he didn't but happy that I could make it for my first visit and asked me to come for another interview after he got his visa renewal, oh my goodness, another 3 hours of waiting :( I think next time I need to get my 5x5x5 Rubiks cube here to comsume my time.

After we got onto car, we just headed to Penang directly, I was not sure if because of mood down due to my visa valid period or tiredness on process and travelling, I wasn't feeling well at the end of the trip and my stomach kept complaining and dizziness.

Finally, we got back to Penang by seeing heavy rain in Perak and tyre punctured of a bus on the highway. Then, home sweet home...

(sooner... my Cameron Highlands Trip will be updated soon :D stay tuned.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suspend Junior

最后一天

国歌和州歌