Lost Symbol

Past few months, I was reading a book and now I finished it, "Lost Symbol" from Dan Brown, the book from author of "Angles and Demon" and "Da Vinci Code".

Well, I bought this book when it was first release at two years ago, but I didn't read it until now. If I know that I won't read it that soon, I might only buy the book now because it is cheaper after first release with softcover and I am not a fan to collect first release books.

To me, "Lost Symbol" is not as good as his previous work, his "Digital Fortress" is even better than this book. Over all, the story is still nice, just I didn't like the ending which left the director of CIA's secret unclear. Also, the story wasn't that excited to me and I could guess who the madman is before the half of the story and I somehow find the story is dragging slow when author tries to write different storylines from different charactar, this makes my emotion was suddenly cold down on some thrilling moment but the next chapter is talking about something else.

The story is about Solomon family and Freemasony, which took place at Washington DC, the murderer is looking for the secrective location of the Word from ancient Freemasony forefather which hidden at somewhere in Washington DC, which developed to involve Robert Langdon to help for decoding the map.

Well, perhaps I wasn't familiar with Freemasony concept, so that I sometimes find bored to follow the story when they explain it in the book. I think it is probably becuase Dan purposely want to have his story take place in Washington DC or inside USA, so that he need to take another concept which USA related, then Freemasony is in the story.

At the end of the story, Dan brought up a thought that human are gods, everyone of us can be gods, this tells me the ego of human nowaday, everyone wants to be a superhero or be admired by other as gods, but is that equally as God? No, I still can't accept Dan's idea from this book. The book said, we can learn and do whatever we want to do or learn, it is true, I believe that but that doesn't mean we are gods, that only mean that we got enough determination on fulfilling our dream, but some facts still will stop us from doing that. So that I still think the person who keeps thinking they are equally to gods actually are those who were high egoist.

However, I still like Dan's idea on the decode part, this time is about magic square which I am familiar with, magic square is some mystery mathematic (at least in long time ago), which is an nXn square by filling up every blank with unique digit and make the sum from every directions (horizontal, vertical and diagonal) to be equally.

Actually, when I was in secondary school timeframe, I was once crazy on solving this type of square, I was like a madgirl keeping quiet at a corner of my house trying with those numeric solutions. Well, I forgot I could solve the square until which level, but I was really keen and enjoyed on doing this kind of mathematic, somehow I thought I would be a mathematician or scientist in one day, but I didn't at last. That time, internet wasn't advantge, all solutions we needed to solve it ourselves and I played the magic square by my own, but now we can find the solution (if there is solution) through searching internet and a bunch of links will provide you solution.

I had been to Washington DC last year, I didn't read this book last year, so that I couldn't bring the "Lost Symbol" feeling to Washington DC, but I think I might be better, else our conversation in the journey might full with this book, which I think it isn't fun. When you purposely want to visit to some places for some reason, you would find dissapointed when you couldn't see the full view. Therefore, I still think my journey to Washington DC was still good experience to us.

And, when I read through the book, I still have the view that I saw in Washington DC, when they decoded the final location of the map, I also could tell the location of due south the heredom, doesn't this be better when I was in the place before you read it? This is the exactly same experience when I read "Angles and Demons", as I visited to Vatican City before I read the book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suspend Junior

最后一天

国歌和州歌